Saturday, March 10, 2018

Review: Hero at the Fall (Rebel of the Sands #3)




Rating: ⭐⭐⭐⭐.5
Audience: True YA, appropriate for teens, language very minimal
Length: 464 pages
Author: Alwyn Hamilton
Goodreads

SOLID ENDING.

I went with a 4.5 star rating because as my husband let me know I didn't say the book was AMAZING, only really good haha.

I felt the pace of the book did drag somewhat, but Hamilton does a good job of being descriptive without being long-winded. There was also some 'unnecessary' drama involved that annoyed me, and yet, I read faster trying to make sure the author really wasn't going to end her series that way!

I could have used more of Jin & Amani in this book. There relationship had blossomed so well over the series, and I felt their moments were rushed and hurried. 

I appreciated that the twists were a little out of reach of me figuring out. I came up with enough ideas, and hoped that most of the them weren't going to come true. Total cardinal sin in my book is killing a main character undue a death (**cough cough** Divergent series 😆). While characters do die, it made sense and rounded out the conclusion well.

I love that Hamilton adds POV chapters from a 'storyteller' side. It allows the reader to experience other areas of the desert without Amani being present. It helped to close out some story lines and influence others so I wasn't confused as to how one place went to the next.

The characters in this series were also some of my favorite too. The Demdji were colorful and unique in personality and added to the sass and overall group dynamic of the Rebels.

This series is definitely YA. In this book there was only one true 'love' scene and it's written appropriately for [somewhat] younger audiences. There isn't an over abundance of detail (which I appreciate as well).

I really enjoyed this series and look forward to what Hamilton writes next!



*Note: these opinions are all my own, I only add the Goodreads link if you want to check out other reviews and information on the book itself. Thanks!*

No comments:

Post a Comment